Learning Kotlin will help you with programming skills. Kotlin is used for small applications that are not process intensive. Python is a popular language for large scale enterprises, machine learning and complex work. Both Kotlin and Python should be used based on the used case you are working with. Let us learn, how to select one.
What is Python?
Python currently is one of the most popular programming languages. It was first released in 1991 and created by Guido Van Rossum. Python is known as a high-level programming language. This means that it may use natural language elements, be easier to use, and even automate computing systems in order to make developing a program easier. Python is also an interpreted language meaning that it will directly execute the code that is written. This separates it from compiled languages, such as Java, which need to be translated by the computer into a language it can understand using a compiler. The design philosophy behind Python was to create a language that emphasized code readability. Finally, Python is open source, meaning that it is free to use for everyone.
What is Python used for?
The number one reason python is widely used is because of its applications in machine learning. Since python is stable, flexible, and simple it is perfect for machine learning and artificial intelligence projects. This makes it a widely used language among data scientists. It is also used for data analytics. This is another developing field that currently utilizes Python programming. Python is used in this field because of its speed at carrying out repetitive tasks. Python is also a general-purpose coding language so it can be used to code all kinds of applications. This includes video games, audio files, and even websites. Some famous websites developed in Python include Instagram, Google, and even Spotify. Another field Python is beginning to emerge in is finance. Here it is used because of its efficiency when handling quantitative and qualitative analysis on big data. It can be used to see current price trends and make predictions based on that data. As you can see there are many applications for this popular programming language.
What is Kotlin?
Kotlin is also an open-source programming language that was developed by JetBrains and released in 2016, making it much newer than Python. It is known as a statistically typed programming language, and it works across multiple platforms. This simply means that it will know all the variable types written in the code at compile time instead of run time. Kotlin also is fully integrated with Java, even relying on the Java class library for its own standard library. It is this way because it was first developed to be part of the JVM library, but soon became its own language. Much like Java it is also object oriented. Kotlin is built in a way that allows developers to write the least amount of code and still accomplish its objective. It also has no runtime overhead which means most of the work will be done during compilation. Now, Kotlin is the preferred programming language for Android developers.
What is Kotlin used for?
Differences between Kotlin and Python
Both languages are very popular today, but they have some key differences as highlighted below:
- Kotlin is compiled while Python is interpreted. A compiled language converts written code into machine code so it can be executed. An interpreted language executes instructions directly from the code without compiling them into a machine language.
- Python is a high-level language while Kotlin is an object oriented statistically typed language. A high-level language may use everyday language and generally be easier to use and learn. A statistically typed language means that the code will know all the variable types during compile time. This makes Python an easier language to learn over Kotlin.
- Python supports Adobe Flash while Kotlin does not. Adobe Flash is a software application that aids in the development of animations, web applications, mobile applications, and games.
- Kotlin code is very similar to Java, while Python code more resembles Ruby. Ruby and Python both focused on having code that was easy to read and write. Kotlin resembles Java because it was originally meant to be part of the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) library.
- Both Kotlin and Python are used as backend code, however in the mobile field Kotlin is superior. This is because Kotlin is backed by Google, and it can compile quickly.
- Python has no support for unsafe code while Kotlin has built-in fail-safe mechanisms for unsafe code, such as null pointer exceptions. In general, Kotlin is less error prone because the code is written in a very concise manner.
- Kotlin has Maven support while Python does not. Maven is a tool used for Java projects, therefore is also supported.
Kotlin vs Python which is better?
After reading through the article, you may be wondering which programming language is better. Or maybe you may already know one of the languages and wondering if the other is worth learning too. Python is great language that is easy to learn that has extensive support through third party libraries. Kotlin, while more difficult to learn, is necessary when tackling large projects that demand a statistically typed language such as Android applications. So, at the end of the day, each language is good in their own way. Python is much better than Kotlin in the field of Data Science, while Kotlin surpasses it in the field of mobile applications.
Also Read: 50 AI Terms You Should Know
Conclusion Kotlin vs Python
In conclusion if you are new to programming you would have a much easier time learning Python over Kotlin. However, Kotlin is still a very useful programming language to learn as it is currently becoming valuable in the market today. Learning Kotlin will help you with programming skills.
Kalinijabo, Bosco. “Kotlin vs Python.” DEV Community 👩💻👨💻, DEV Community 👩💻👨💻, 25 July 2021.
Shrestha, Shiva Shrestha. “Top 10 Python Applications in the Real World: Uses of Python.” Edureka, Edureka, 1 July 2022.
Team, Codecademy. “What Is Kotlin Used for?” Codecademy News, Codecademy News, 1 Mar. 2022, https://www.codecademy.com/resources/blog/what-is-kotlin-used-for/.